The Filipino Veterans Equity Bill is at risk in Congress, leaving Filipino veterans of WWII stripped of their U.S. veteran status, even though they fought for our country. This injustice has gone on for more than 60 years and many of these veterans may pass away before seeing their sacrifices recognized.
Filipinos for Affirmative Action asks you for your urgent support in calling Members of Congress and urging them to support this bill.
The leadership of the Senate and the House need to know that they must pass the current bill, S. 1315 in the Senate, and HR 760 in the House, and opposed amendments that would water down the legislation. Our veterans deserve nothing less.
PHOTO: Regino Barreda, center, a Filipino World War II veteran living in Virginia Beach, arrives in Washington on Wednesday for a hearing with the Senate’s Committee on Veterans’ Affairs. (John H. Sheally II/The Virginian-Pilot)
You can also help by doing the following:
1. Contact both your Senators and Representatives where you live: Send calls, e-mails and faxes and call on them to co-sponsor the Filipino Veterans Equity Act (S. 1315/HR 760) and to vote for it when it comes to a floor vote. You can contact the Capitol Hill switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to be connected to any member of Congress. (see below for a sample script)
2. Contact Senate and House leadership and urge them to bring the bill to the floor for a vote. It does not matter if you are not in the district of the member of Congress you are contacting.
Tell Congress how important the Filipino Veterans Equity Act is to you. If you are directly connected to a Filipino veteran, let them know the impact this bill has for you.
When calling, please make the following points:
- The 1946 Rescission Act took away US veterans status promised to them and the Filipino Veterans Equity Act will not only restore this status, but will give them the honor and recognition of their service that they deserve.
- Nationals from more than 60 other countries receive US veterans status; Filipinos were singled out for discriminatory treatment.
- All of our veterans deserve to be treated the same way; we are committed to full and equal benefits in line with what US veterans currently receive.
- Pass the Filipino Veterans Equity Act NOW!
The following list represents Senate and House leadership who can move this bill to the floor for a vote (It does not matter if you are not in the district of these members of Congress, please contact them today!) Senate Veterans Affairs Ranking Member Richard Burr (R-NC); Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK); Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV); Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Daniel Akaka (D-HI); Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA); House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Bob Filner (D-CA); Co-Sponsor of the House Bill Representative Darrell Issa (R-CA); Co-Sponsor of the Senate Bill Senator Daniel Inouye (D-HI); Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY); Senator John McCain (R-AZ); Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)
For more information, please feel free to contact us at (510) 465-9876.